GRAY & SONS (CHELMSFORD) LIMITED

FAMILY BUSINESS IN ESSEX. OWNERS OF 50 PUBLIC HOUSES
AND BEER WHOLESALERS
 

HOME            PUBLIC HOUSES            TENANCIES AVAILABLE            HISTORY

HISTORY
The Gray Family came into brewing in 1828 at the Springfield Road Brewery in Chelmsford, Essex.  It is thought that there was a brewery at the Black Boy Coaching Inn and it was this that later became the main brewery.

Gray & Sons Yard 2.JPG (71318 bytes)
Springfield Road Brewery

Gray & Sons RMG 1.JPG (38617 bytes)
Company Chairman Michael Gray

In 1870 the Maldon Brewery in Gate Street was bought to supply the growing number of pubs in the area, and was eventually closed in 1954, and the local public houses were supplied from Chelmsford.

Gray & Sons Yard 3.JPG (31403 bytes)
Springfield Road Brewery

Stock, Mild and Bitter were the main brews, but when the Springfield Road Brewery ceased brewing in 1974, Greene King IPA became the main real ale.  Since then the list of beers available has increased dramatically and the tenants can now choose from a variety of monthly guest ales from around the country.  There is also a large choice from small local breweries, Mighty Oak, Farmers Ales and Brentwood Brewery, plus Adnams.  A wide portfolio of lagers and bottled beers are also available. Gray & Sons Stacking Bottles.JPG (44004 bytes) Pat Burr packing crates

The depot,
Galleywood

 

The move to offices and the warehouse in Rignals Lane, Galleywood in 1974 enabled the company to deliver ales and lager to the public houses and to continue the long standing family run business.  

Gray & Sons Yard 1.JPG (74321 bytes)
Springfield Road Brewery

Phoenix.JPG (40200 bytes)
The Phoenix
The Phoenix, now outside the depot in Rignals Lane, stood for many years in the brewery garden.  It was inherited from the Phoenix Fire Insurance Company who rented a part of the brewery site in Chelmsford in 1801.

BACK TO THE TOP

copyright - Gray & Sons (Chelmsford) Ltd